If you think taking Science as a major subject in higher education just to become Engineer or Doctor then you are completely wrong. There are lots of career options a science student can opt for after completing senior secondary. One of the common career options of Science is Pharmacy. Student can go for pharmaceutical science where they will take knowledge of medicine making. This subject is the combination of biology, physics, chemistry and some part of mathematics and engineering.
Though this course is not tough as engineering neither lengthy as MBBS. In this subject, students learn the technique involved in the preparation and administration of medicines. Students of Pharmacy have to make some new discoveries in medicines and medical formulations with the use of available knowledge and resources. Pharmacists play very important role in the promotion of healthcare. Their work is to advise doctors about the compositions of medicines and their use and side effects.
Today is the time when the world has large number of advanced drugs that can cure difficult diseases and that’s all because of the discoveries done by pharmacists. The Indian pharmaceutical industry, which has rapidly grown in last few decade is now expected to reach 55 billion US dollars by next two years, resulting to be the 6th largest pharmaceutical market globally. And you readers will be happy to know that India is the largest provider of generic drugs in the world. So, if you are thinking to make career in pharmacy, then here are some courses that can opt for completing 12th with science subjects.
One can go for Diploma in Pharmacy for 2 years or can opt for graduation degree (B.Pharma) of 4 years. In both cases, students are requires an internship of 6 months for practical exposure. Students can also choose high end career in this with higher education. There are plenty of research opportunities in Pharmacy leading to Ph.D degree. Here are some major topics that been covered in Post Graduation courses:
- Pharmaceutical Engineering
- Hospital Pharmacy
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Quality Assurance & Control of Pharmacy Products
Institutes Offering Pharmacy Courses
- Kamla Nehru Institute of Pharmacy & Research, Sultanpur, U.P.
- Kanpur Institute of Technology & Pharmacy, Kanpur
- Roorkee College of Pharmacy, Roorkee, Uttarakhand
- Institute of Pharmacy, Jalpaiguri, West Bengal
- Bengal College of pharmaceutical sciences & Research, Durgapur, West Bengal
- Rajasthan Pharmacy College, Jaipur
- Regional College of Pharmacy, Jaipur
- Alwar Pharmacy College, Alwar, Rajasthan
- Himalayan Pharmacy Institute, Rangpo, Sikkim
- College of Pharmacy, Madurai Medical College, Madurai
- V.S. College of pharmaceutical sciences, Coimbatore
- Madras Medical College& Research Institute, Chennai
- St Mary’s College of Pharmacy, Secunderabad
- Sarojini Naidu Vanita Pharmacy Mahavidyalaya, Hyderabad
- Kamla Nehru College of Pharmacy, Nagpur
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Bhubaneswar
- Gayatri College of Pharmacy, Sambalpur, Orissa
- Rishiraj College of Pharmacy, Indore
- Rajeev Gandhi College of Pharmacy, Bhopal
- M.R. College of Pharmacy, Bengaluru
- Basaveshwara College of Pharmacy, Bidar Karnataka
- University College of Pharmacy, Kottayam, Kerala
- Vaish Institute of pharmaceutical Education & Research, Rohtak, Haryana
- School of Medical & Allied Sciences, Gurugram, Haryana
- Himachal Institute of pharmaceutical Education & Research, Nadaun, Hamirpur, Himachal Pradesh
- Department of pharmaceutical Science, Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi
- Bhagwan Mahavir College of Pharmacy, Surat, Gujarat
- Bihar College of Pharmacy, Patna
- Department of pharmaceutical Science, Dibrugarh University, Assam
- K. College of Pharmacy, Chhattisgarh
- Delhi Institute of pharmaceutical Sciences & Research, New Delhi
- Maharaja Surajmal Institute of Pharmacy, New Delhi
Large Number of Job Opportunity Available in India
Formulation: A pharmacist can work for drug manufacturing company for producing medicines or they can be assigned portfolio of some medicine where they need to look for their proper formulation and production process.
Research and Development: All the big drug companies hire researchers who discover new drugs and improve effectiveness of existing drugs or medicines.
Manufacturing Quality Control: Quality Control/ Assurance supervisors are been appointed to check and ensure the production process as making drugs and medicines is a serious and responsible job.
Teaching: Teaching is also a good job option for Pharmacy students. Candidates have to qualify NET in Pharmacy to become Assistant Professor in colleges and universities.
Hospital/ Clinical Pharmacy: Students who have done Diploma in Pharmacy can work as a Pharmacist at hospitals and clinics. Large number of pharmacists is required by government and private hospitals.Click Here to Share This on Whatsapp
Whatsapp Twitter Facebook Google+