According to the united nation, there are more than a billion people and 15 percent of them are having a disability, and 80 percent of populations with disabilities are living in developing country.
Most of us are well aware about the difficulties that constrict people have to face. Disable person also have equal rights like ever citizen in this country.
International day of person with disabilities
In 1992 3rd December was declared as International day of person with disabilities. The world’s largest minority is disables and they have to face lots of difficulties along with lack of recourse.
- What is a disability?
According to the international classification of functioning (ICF) a physical or mental condition that limits a person’s movement, sense, or activity can be termed as disabilities.
- Certification of disabilities
Certification of disabilities is on the bases of data available from the office of chief commissioner of person with disabilities, as on august 2017, 57.98% are with disabilities.
- Population of person with disabilities
The percentages of person with disabilities in following countries are as follow:
|Sr. no||Name of country||Per cent|
- After the enactment of rights of person with disabilities (RPWD) act, 2016 on December government has taken following steps:-
- On 15th June 2017 in term of section 100 said act. These are the following rules:
(i).Accessibility standards for built environment, passenger bus transport and website and content to be placed on website.
(ii). Procedure for applying and grant of certificate of disability.
(iii). Manner of publication of equal opportunity policy and maintenance of records regarding employees with disabilities.
(iv). Mechanism for implementation of provision of non discrimination on the ground of disability.
(v). Manner of utilization and management of National Fund.
- Further in terms of Section 56 of the RPWD Act, 2016 the guidelines for assessment of extend of specified disability have been notified on 04.01.2018. These guidelines provide the procedure for assessment and certification of all the specified disabilities mentioned in the Act except Autism including the composition of medical authority.
- DOPT issued order to implement reservation in central government jobs in 15th January 2018.
- The government has constitutional central advisory board on disabilities.
- A Committee under the chairmanship of Special DG (now DG), DGHS was constituted to suggest incorporation of rules for assessment for persons with disabilities with high support needs as required under Section 38 of the said Act.
- Expert Committee has been constituted to identify posts for persons with disabilities in the Central Government.
- Regional meetings in 5 places were held in the country to sensitise the States about the provisions of the new Act and action to be taken by them.
(2).Implementation Mechanism of Right to Persons with Disability Act and National Policy.
(3).The Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities at Central level and State Commissioners at the State level play key role in implementation of the National Policy, apart from their respective statutory responsibilities.
(4). Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment is the nodal Department to coordinate all matters relating to implementation of the Policy. 3. The Central Advisory Board on Disability, with stakeholder representation, coordinates matters relating to implementation of the National Policy.
(5). The Ministries of Home Affairs;
* Health & Family Welfare
* Urban Development
* Youth Affairs & Sports
(6).Panchayati Raj Institutions and Urban Local Bodies are associated in the functioning of the District Disability Rehabilitation Centres. They are required to play a crucial role in the implementation of the National Policy to address local level issues. Government of India Schemes for Empowerment of PWDs.
The major schemes for rehabilitation of persons with disabilities are:
- Unique Disability Identification Card (UDID) The Govt. of India is in the process of implementing UDID Project with a view to create a national data base for Persons with Disabilities and also to issue unique ID card to each of them.
- Assistance to Disabled Persons for Purchase/ Fitting of Aids/Appliances (ADIP) The main objective of the Scheme is to assist needy disabled Persons in procuring durable, sophisticated and scientifically manufactured, modern, standard aids and appliances to promote physical, social and psychological rehabilitation of persons with disabilities through reducing the effects of disabilities and at the same time enhance their economic potential.
Click Here to Share This on Whatsapp
Whatsapp Twitter Facebook Google+